Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Best Manhattan of Manhanttan

Among all my personal philosophies one I think everybody should follow:

"You must try the signature food/drink of the place you are".

Examples of that:
Philadelphia = Cream Cheese
New York = Cheesecake / NY Steak
California = Sushi (California)
Puerto Rico = Piña Colada

This philosophy is especially great when the name of the place is the name of the dish/drink, as it happens with the world famous Manhattan. And you can have it straight up or on the rocks. But, common, if you are going to a Manhattan you shall go straight up!

Original Recipe according to IBA (international bartenders association):


  • 5cl Rye or Canadian whiskey


  • 2cl Sweet red vermouth


  • 1 Dash Angostura bitters


  • Maraschino cherry (garnish)


  • The first time I drunk one was at the Bourbon Street in São Paulo. Many years had pass since one month ago, which I tried again at Buddakan (NYC).

    With an amazing texture and flavor, it made me rethink about the role of the cocktails, and also create a personal challenge.

    Which is the best Manhattan of Manhattan?? Until now, just Buddakan with a big 9 (which is subject to alteration).

    So let's start the competition.

    
    Photo from: Daddy's Martinis
    

    2 comments:

    1. I'm trying the same thing for years with beer, according to my theory that the beer cans in the 12-pack don't have the same taste.
      But i always loose track when i reach the middle of the research.
      No pain, no gain...

      Manoel Pedro

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well, based on that I say I will start to try a different Irish coffee every morning... :)

      Felipe

      ReplyDelete

    Leave your message. You are free to express yourself. No spams will be allowed.