Monday, October 25, 2010

What the French Can Do For You!

Last Wednesday (October 20) Phoenix step into the Madison Square Garden to play for a magnificent crowd. Since many of its hits were remixed along the years, I went expecting a mixture of rock&roll and electronic music, as for what they became known.

Before anything, however, it is important  to recognize two things. First, I wasn't able to find a "General Admission Ticket" for the PIT, and I ended with a 200 Level Seat. A lot of people might disagree with me, but I am not used to have a seat in a rock concert. Second, I was really in the mood for the concert, which really can make a difference, especially if you are going to attend a concert by yourself.

Outside the weather was chilled, but once I got to the MSG I saw a really excited mob. Like me, the year range was 30's, with lots of foreigners (lots of French - why??), so I felt really comfortable there. (I still find really annoying when I am the only blue dot in a red square place).

Time for a beer, find my seat, and BANG! The concert started... and different from my early expectations, it started in a pure and solid rock and roll. Power drums, loud guitars, and Thomas Mars' voice appeared in a perfect cadence, making the fans jump from their seats in a instantaneously action - Lisztomania.

With an clean concert, they made more than lots of big fancy productions. And this is what rock and roll is all about. Just some lights, a wonderful set list, a lot of energy and a crowd that went crazy at the end of every song. Their focus were more on Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (but I prefer I little bit more their first Album, United), as their well acclaimed album, but they could arrange well their hits.

While watching the concert, it made me remember the Vampire Week concert, a month before, at Radio City. Not even close from what was happening at MSG on that moment. A "crazy-mature" band! Mars throw himself to the cluster several times, as if he were at a underground club.

From the middle to the end they started to calm down, as with the French cover of La Fille Aux Cheveux Clairs (Johnny Hallyday) - as expected since it was on their setlist.

What wasn't expected was the next performance. From nowhere Daft Punk arouse, and my first anticipation become true. The electronic-rock finally appear with all its strength. The French were together, and Daft Punk finally got out of its concert hibernation. Mixing Around the World with Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger was extraordinary. If anyone could imagine any surprise, this was the best one!! And with the concert, Phoenix “finally” got out the “indie” label to enter into the select group of bands – the question is, what we can expect next? Now the level is high! 
  
Set List:
1. Lisztomania
2. Lasso
3. Long Distance Call
4. Fences
5. Girlfriend
6. Armistice
7. North
8. Love Like a Sunset
9. Run Run Run
10. Rally
11. Rome
12. Funky Squaredance
13. Honeymoon
14. La Fille Aux Cheveux Clairs
15. If I Ever Feell Better
16. Around the World/ Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (w/ Daft Punk)
17. 1901 (w/ Daft Punk)

- photos and videos will be published soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message. You are free to express yourself. No spams will be allowed.