Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Steak Tartare - More than just Raw Beef

About 3 years ago I found myself really in love with Stake Tartare, and I went far to discover all of its flavor. To me Steak Tartare is more than just a regular dish. As an appetizer or an entree, its consistency changes with the several recipes. It can be creamy, spicy, dry, with french toasts, french fries, side salad, you named it. Particularly, I prefer it with a creamy consistency, with a light taste of mustard and the sufficient spiciness to break the "egg flavor", and not so much cappers.

From that time to know, I decrease a little bit the quantity of Stake Tartare meals; however, along those years I was able to try different recipes in different countries, such as Brazil, France, and the United States. In addition, I created my own recipe, which follows more my taste than any measure guidance. The ingredients are as follow:

filet mignon;
onion;
garlic;
capers;
egg;
Worcestershire sauce;
Dijon mustard;
cognac;
parsley;
green onions;
Tabasco;
olive oil; and
cornichons.

As you can see I don't use anchovy fillets on my recipe...

The origin of this dish is uncertain, but (at least Wikipedia) says that it names from Central Asia, but for sure it was the French that made it famous as it is now.  Some other European countries have different names for it. In my “home” town, Curitiba, we used to have in a German restaurant a dish called Panther’s Beef (carne de onça), which is a simpler way of doing it, but not less tasty. The grounded (or chopped) raw beef, with onions, parsley and green onions, goes over a wheat bread, and you spread brown mustard on it.

I will use this blog to discuss more about the Steak Tartare and its different techniques, including restaurants reviews.

In the mean while, try to figure out your own favorite recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message. You are free to express yourself. No spams will be allowed.